SSAFA Forces Line
A free and confidential service providing support for serving (regulars and reserves), ex-forces and their families. SSAFA is outside of the military chain of command, they will listen and won’t judge. Freephone lines are open 09:00-17:00, Monday-Friday.
Telephone: 0800 731 4880
National point of contact for veterans seeking support. Putting veterans and their families in touch with the organisations best placed to help with the information, advice and support they need, from healthcare and housing to employability, finances, personal relationships and more. Freephone lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Telephone: 0808 802 1212
Guidance For Nepalese Residents
The Armed Forces Networks and the NHS have produced guidance for Nepalese residents on the help that may be available to them.
- Nepalese Armed Forces Guidance (PDF)
- Improving Support For Armed Forces Families Nepalese Questionnaire (PDF)
- RAF Benevolent Fund Group Calls Service, call 0300 222 5703. Freephone lines are open 09:30-16:30, Monday-Thursday and 09:30-16:00 on Fridays
- Seafarers Link Service, call 0207 7224 2072
Welfare and Financial Support
There are lots of organisations that provide support to serving Armed Forces personnel, their families and veterans.
- The Royal Navy Royal Marines Welfare Team is always on hand to help with the unique challenges that service personnel and their family and friends encounter during life in – or with – the Royal Navy or Royal Marines
- The Naval Families Federation lists organisations and charities that help with a range of welfare issues, including bereavements and disability needs
- The British Army provides help on a range of welfare issues including deployment support, legal assistance and a dedicated, free telephone service (Forcesline) for confidential guidance
- The Army Families Foundation (AFF) is independent of the Army and offers confidential advice on a range of welfare issues including money matters and family life
- The Royal Air Force Community Support provides support to service personnel and families in a number of areas, including accommodation, education and financial support
- The Royal Air Force Families Federation provide all RAF personnel and their families – Regular and Reserve, single or married – with timely and professional support, assistance and an independent voice regarding issues or concerns that they may have
- The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) works to ensure that the needs of the Armed Forces, veterans and their families are met in an appropriate and timely way
- Veterans UK provides a range of services including a veteran’s advice helpline, a welfare service that will provide a dedicated caseworker to assist veterans and their families, and support war pensioners and war widows and widowers
- The Royal British Legion provides support to people who are serving or who have served in the Armed Forces, their dependents and carers
- The South East Reserve Forces’ and Cadets’ Association (SERFCA) provides supports Reservists and Cadets in the South East of England, as well as managing Reserve, Cadet and Training centres; supporting Reservists by engaging with and supporting their employers; and encouraging support for Reserve Forces and Cadets
Royal British Legion
They run a national information and advice line for veterans and their families. Freephone lines are open 08:00-20:00, seven days a week.
Telephone: 0808 802 8080
A national mental health helpline for anyone affected by service-related mental health problems, including family members.
Telephone: 0800 138 1619 (for veterans and families)
Telephone: 0800 323 4444 (for those serving and their families)
Blind Veterans UK National Support Service
Blind Veterans UK are ensuring that the most vulnerable veterans they support receive everything they need at this time. They are delivering an outreach service over the telephone and practical support for blind veterans impacted by social distancing measures.
Telephone: 01273 391447 – Phone lines are open 09:00-16:00, Monday-Friday